Congratulations! You've created your first iOS app or have made significant strides towards making one -- and you've demonstrated a working knowledge of Swift and iOS development. Demo day is coming up shortly on Wednesday, May 31st so we wanted to give teams an outline of what we expect.
Before we proceed, we want to emphasize that teams that have not finished their apps are still expected to present, and not finishing your app does not have a negative impact on judging. We will reward points to your team based on what you did accomplish.
Demo Day Format
Teams will have 30 minutes at the beginning of Demo Day to convene and prepare for their presentations. Then, each team will have 5-10 minutes to present their app to the room (including judges). While the format and topics you cover during your presentation are up to you, we have some guidelines on what a good pitch might include:
- Introduction: Team members' names, app name, and general overview of what the app does
- Vision for app: What problem(s) the app solves, why people need it, target audience
- Summary: More detailed walkthrough of app
- Technicalities: Hack Camp topics and APIs that were used
- Design: UI/UX decisions
- Challenges: Problems faced during project and how they were overcome
- Potential: Growth and improvements
There will be different criteria that judges will take into consideration for each award. Please note that each team can only win one award.
Best App Execution
The team that will be awarded Best App Execution will win $25 Amazon Gift Cards and a Microsoft Referral from two Hack Board Officers for each person on the team. Additionally, the mentor of this team will receive a Microsoft Referral. The team that will win this award will demonstrate some or all of the following criteria:
- Technically challenging and use of difficult concepts
- Good design
- Use of APIs, integration, and skill of project
- Hack Camp topics integrated
- Skill level of team in comparison of difficulty of app taken into consideration
- Example: if a beginner team and intermediate team do an app of similar difficulty, more points awarded to beginner team
Most Unique App Idea
The team that will be awarded Most Unique App Idea will win $25 Amazon Gift Cards for each person on the team. Additionally, the mentor of this team will receive a Microsoft Referral. The team that will win this award will demonstrate some or all of the following criteria:
- Idea is unique and solves a problem in an interesting way
- App is creative
- The app has a high potential for impact
We are so proud of all of our teams for sticking with your projects over the past three weeks, and are excited to see what you all have to show us on Demo Day!